Beer lovers are about to have more overnight options in Bend! Locals are invited to the grand opening of the McMenamins Old St. Francis School’s 41 new lodging rooms. The newly constructed Education House is open now and the new Art House will open August 1.
The celebration takes place property-wide. If you can find it, the Broom Closet Bar will be open, serving up specialty drinks and small bites for purchase.
Background: the original St. Francis School opened in 1936 and four bungalows were added sometime between the 1940s and 1960s. Recently, three of the four original buildings were sold to make room for the new lodging (the buyer is turning those structures into vacation rentals) and the fourth building, the Parish House, remains as an Old St. Francis School guest house.
What’s new? Over the past year, McMenamins has built two new lodging structures inspired by and incorporating design elements from the original bungalows. The 17-room Education House is themed after historic St. Francis School figures, such as the Donna Lutzky, the school’s first art teacher. The 24-room Art House features hand-painted scenes from McMenamins locations, lore and beyond. Guestrooms feature televisions, telephones, internet access and private bathrooms with showers. As with all Old St. Francis School lodging, overnight guests can also enjoy complimentary use of the soaking pool.
For more information hit up the Grand Opening page over at McMenamins.com